Artists‎ > ‎Information for Artists‎ > ‎

Insurance for Artists and Practitioners

To be employed as a freelancer in certain situations such as in a school or hospital, or if you are going to be working with vulnerable adults, you will be expected to be fully insured in case something happens that results in a claim being made against you. If you work with any member of the public you will need to consider Public Liability Insurance. Public Liability Insurance covers you in case a member of the public makes a claim against you in the event that you cause injury or death to a third party or damage to the property of a third party.

If you intend on selling your artwork/products you may also wish to take out Product Liability Insurance to be insured against a customer making a claim if they are dissatisfied or if the product should fail.

If you are offering a service (such as consultancy or advice) you will need to consider Professional Indemnity Insurance to be insured against the purchaser making a claim if they are dissatisfied or hurt or have been given a bad or negligent service. Professional indemnity insurance is also a requirement of many statutory bodies. 

Practitioners may also want to insure their work and equipment against loss or damage and perhaps their bodies against injury. As a freelance, self-employed practitioner or arts manager, you may also want to consider additional insurance cover for health and loss of earnings.

The kind of insurance cover you will need may differ across art forms or arts management situations, for example a writer may need libel insurance, a furniture maker may need product liability insurance, a musician will want to insure their instruments, and an arts manager may need professional indemnity insurance.

Artist and practitioners working in education through Barefoot must hold public liability insurance.


Like other organisations Barefoot cannot make any recommendation about any individual company but attached below is a list of insurers you may wish to try. We advise practitioners to check details very carefully to make sure the art form and context in which they will be working are covered.  We also recommend getting a number of quotes and compare cover before making a decision. If you only work for part of a year ask insurers about discounts. For some schemes the premium paid is less if you only work for up to 3 or 6 months of the year compared to the full price for a full year’s cover. This type of policy should be available from most insurers with some negotiation and can therefore make the process that little bit cheaper.

julie matthews,
19 Oct 2011, 07:44